The laboratory scientist is a member of the Laboratory Operations team responsible for performing routine and specialised methods such as nucleic acid extractions, PCR, Sequencing and Genotyping. The Genuity Science laboratory is a high throughput, CAP accredited and LIMS-controlled production environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform and supervise a variety of laboratory workflows using both routine and specialised techniques and methods in some of the following areas:
- DNA/RNA isolation, PCR, qPCR, microarray platforms for genotyping and methylation analysis and next generation sequencing technologies.
- Comply with all applicable clinical laboratory standards, protocols, and requirements.
- Manage daily workload through the laboratory information system.
- Review of QC Data as part of day-to-day operations, procedures and specifications.
- Identify deviations from QC methods and implement method improvements.
- Maintain records to demonstrate proficiency testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimens.
- Adhere to the laboratory’s quality control policies such as:
- document all quality control activities, develop and author documentation for new and current procedures, record instrument and procedural calibrations and maintenance performed.
- Participates in laboratory cross training programmes.
- Ensure adequate stock control of reagents and consumables within the laboratory.
- Follow the laboratory’s established policies and procedures whenever test systems are not within the laboratory’s established levels of performance.
- Document all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory’s established performance specifications.
- Identify safety measures within the laboratory and comply with all safety and infection control standards.
- Completion of all required records associated with quality system compliance in a timely manner.
- Participation in and where requested, performance of audits.
- Attendance at meetings, as requested by laboratory management.
- Ensuring the use of Q-Pulse, where required, during daily operations.
- Maintaining the confidentiality of corporate and laboratory data and information.
- Have an understanding of data privacy regulations and their importance to laboratory generated data.
- Adherence with human resources policies and procedures and participation in staff review programmes within the organisation.
- Compliance with the requirements of CAP, ISO17025 and applicable INAB mandatory documentation.
- Perform other duties as required.
- BSc/MSc degree in Biological Science or equivalent.
- Relevant experience (>3 years) in Molecular Biology and/or Genetics laboratories working in clinical, industrial or academic environments.
- Knowledge of Quality Management Systems (QMS) desirable.