Lab Scientist 1
The Genuity Science Genomics Centre is an award winning, internationally accredited facility focused on utilising the most modern genetic techniques to help understand the molecular basis of both common and rare diseases. The laboratory scientist I is a member of the laboratory operations team responsible for performing routine and specialised methods such as nucleic acid extractions, PCR, sequencing and genotyping within a high throughput, CAP accredited and LIMS-controlled production environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs and supervises a variety of laboratory workflows using both routine and specialised techniques and methods in some of the following areas: DNA/RNA isolation, PCR, qPCR, microarray platforms for genotyping and methylation analysis and next generation sequencing technologies.
- Comply with all applicable clinical laboratory standards, protocols and requirements.
- Follow the laboratory’s procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analyses, reporting and maintaining records of test results.
- Maintain records to demonstrate that proficiency testing samples are tested in the same manner as research specimens.
- Adhere to the laboratory’s quality control policies, document all quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations and maintenance performed.
- Organise performance maintenance or services as required in conjunction with laboratory staff and project schedules.
- Follow the laboratory’s established policies and procedures whenever test systems are not within the laboratory’s established levels of performance.
- Be capable of identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and either correct the problems or immediately notify the supervisor.
- Manage daily work load through the laboratory information system.
- Participates in laboratory cross training programmes.
- Ensure adequate stock control of reagents and consumables within the laboratory.
- Document all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory’s established performance specifications.
- Identify safety measures within the laboratory and comply with all safety and infection control standards.
- Completion of all required records associated with quality system compliance in a timely manner.
- Participation in and where requested, performance of audits.
- Attendance at meetings, as requested by laboratory management.
- Ensuring the use of Q-Pulse, where required, during daily operations.
- Maintaining the confidentiality of corporate and laboratory data and information.
- Have an understanding of data privacy regulations and their importance to laboratory generated data.
- Adherence with human resources policies and procedures and participation in staff review programmes within the organisation.
- Compliance with the requirements of CAP, ISO17025 and applicable INAB mandatory documentation.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biological Science or equivalent.
- MSc degree in a genomics or molecular biology related field preferable.
- Experience in a routine clinical accredited laboratory would be beneficial.
The Laboratory Scientist I is accountable to the Senior Laboratory Scientist